!Now Available!

Clandestine, the first installment in the Young Adult Paranormal series Bound In Blood is available in both Print and EBook. It can be purchased at Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Create Space















Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Importance Of Family

I have been asked several times lately what the most important thing in my life is. For me, it's a no brainer hands down. My family. More specifically, my two daughters.

My little Princess and Peanut are my life and undoubtedly my everything. Every single choice I make is in some way a reflection of what's best for them.

Most parents would probably agree that when you have a baby, your entire world shifts to revolve around the newest little person in your life. Suddenly, your life, your wants and your needs come in second and sometimes, aren't even considered at all. It's all about your little guy or your little girl.

I come from both ends of the spectrum. With Princess, I was a teen mom. I was quite a bit older when I gave birth to Peanut. It's interesting to reflect on the way things are done when you are a young parent verses even just a few years older.

I also think it's enthralling to consider the differences and similarities between two different children. In some cases I have seen siblings who are very much alike. In others, I've seen the children be as different as night and day. And that's okay.

All kids are their own little people, unique individuals ready to take the world by storm. It's our job to give them to go out there and weather whatever comes their way.

Do you ever find yourself wondering who taught this kid to act this way? It can sometimes be a hard lesson to learn that well, we did as parents. Children learn the majority of their behaviors, habits, manners, values, etc. from us. It's easy to think that a little one isn't paying attention or that things we say travel right over their heads.

Then you receive the wake up call by hearing your innocent little one say their first cuss word. Gee, I wonder if they got them from Dora, or maybe Sponge Bob... of course they didn't. All kids go through a cuzzing fpeiod in their life. For some kids it's barely ever. For others, it's a regular habit that has you thinking their well on their way to becoming the next Junior truck driver or sailor. I assure you it's normal. It's all in how you handle it.

I have been pretty lucky. My little ones never went through a serious foul language period. This of course isn't to say they have never repeated a naughty word in their time. They have. I'm just saying it doesn't happen often.

The other great part of having little ones is when they start having actual conversations with you. In the ages between two and five, I've descovered that most kids have no filter. They tend to say whatever it is they're thinking, right when they think it, no matter who is around. My oldest Princess once yelled at a lady in a store who bent over and passed gas. My youngest little Peanut has been quoted at saying "take a hike old lady". As parents, it's so important not to get to taken over by mortification. You've gotta learn not to sweat the small stuff and laugh things off. Most people know the old saying, "kids say the darndest things." If they don't, they've probably een living alone in a cave for the past sever centuries.

There's nothing better than the love of a child. It's unconditional and non-judgemental. There's nothing like when you have a bad day and your little one comes up and gives you a giant bear hug just because. No one will ever love you as much as your child does.

It is said that we are our child's most important teacher. While I believe this to be true, I feel that it's two fold. They are our teachers too. Some of the most important lessons I've learned in life, I've learned from my girls. I love every minute of being a mom, even on the days I want to pull my hair out. I wouldn't change a single thing about my children or my life with them. They are mine and I in turn, am theirs. Just as it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I appreciate it:) Please be sure to click to subscribe to comments to receive an E-mail letting you know when someone new posts on the thread.